Did You Know?
For all Parents
- Did you know that your local education agency ("LEA") is obligated to provide children with disabilities an appropriate placement in the least restrictive environment, this includes funding a private school if the LEA is unable to provide an appropriate public placement?
- Did you know that you have the right to disagree with your LEA's assessments of your child and that the LEA is obligated to fund outside independent educational evaluations for your child's disabilities or file for due process to defend the appropriateness of their own assessments (which is more costly than simply funding the independent assessments)?
- Did you know that the LEA is obligated to fund services necessary for your child to receive an educational benefit, to meet goals and objectives and to ensure educational progress?
- Did you know that your LEA might be obligated to fund instructional services all year, including time outside of the traditional school year?
- Did you know that the LEA is obligated to fund transportation for your child with special needs to and from his/her educational placement, instructional services and therapy?
- Did you know that you have the right to file a compliance complaint and/or file for due process if the District fails to provide your child with disabilities an appropriate educational program to meet his/her specific needs?
- Did you know that parents can receive supports and services through their local Regional Center for unrelated school services such as social skills, self-help skills, nursing services and respite?